Samsung CL80: Super-social Wi-Fi camera gets the most from your memories
Samsung have been showing off the Samsung CL80 camera at CES 2010, a camera so rich with features it makes mobile phones look barren!
Samsung have managed to endow (for that really is the right word!) the CL80 not just with cracking camera optics and all sorts of image improvement trickery, but also a plethora of connectivity options including WiFi, Bluetooth and DLNA. And HDMI. And then they threw in email as well. Oh and auto-uploads to a range of Web apps!
Seriously, the list goes on and on. So I suppose I’d better start then (deep breath!)
Samsung CL80 camera specs
First, the camera. The CL80 offers the following:
- 14 megapixels
- SchneiderKREUZNACH lens
- 720p video recording
- 7x optical zoom
- Digital image stabilization
- Smart face recognition with up to 20 faces
- Smile shot, blink detection, red-eye fix
- Panorama shot
- Object tracking auto focus
- Smart filter
Nothing too amazing there – indeed, it’s not that different from the latest top end camera phones! However, it’s the other features that Samsung have added that make the CL80 a revolutionary camera.
The CL80 is all about connectivity. To that end, Samsung have given it the following features:
This means you can view your shots in loads of different ways:
- Connect the CL80 to your HDTV via the HDMI connection and a cable
- Upload the pics to your PC via WiFi and view them there
- If your HDTV supports DLNA and WiFi, you can view the pics on your telly without the need for wires
- Same goes for a DLNA-equipped PC
- Transfer your pics to your digitial photo fram wirelessly (if your photo frame supports WiFi and DLNA)
- Share your photos with your own or your friends’ mobile phones via Bluetooth
One touch uploading to the Web
What if you want to upload your pics to the Web? Nom problem – if you’re in range of a WiFi connection, you can automatically upload them to the following:
Photo sharing Web sites not your thing? Fine, simply email your pictures instead. Yep, not only has the CL80 got an email client built-in, it’s also got a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, so you can write an email, attach the pic, and send it to whoever you want!
Somebody from Samsung’s mobile phone division obviously walked into the wrong room one day and started working on the CL80 thinking it was Samsung’s latest wonder phone!
I’ve still not finished, though. Aside form all the connectivity and super-sociable gadgets, the CL80 also features a tonne fo super-cool tech, including:
- 3.7″ AMOLED touchscreen
- 720p HD video recording
- SmartGesture touchscreen interface, which lets you access the phone’s various menus using swiping and gestures (told you someone from their phone division got lost!)
- Accelerometer – scroll through your pics by tilting the camera left or right
The Samsung CL80 – superb!
The Samsung CL80 is a fantastic new camera, and probably the most sociable camera around. With its huge range of connectivity options and super-easy uploading to loads of different Web sites, the CL80 makes it absurdly simple to share your photos with anyone or any device.
And surely that’s the point of photos – to share? I don’t want to go all wishy washy on you, but how many photos have you got trapped on your hard drive, or in your mobile phoe or camera?
At last, camera manufacturers are making a real effort to help not just take great photos, but to let others see them as well.
Samsung should be congratulated on make a cracking camera with the CL80 that really helps the user get the most out of their memories.